Wiki Anethesia coding for one crna and two surgeons

Best answers
I heard that when a surgery is performed by two surgeons that you can bill for two separate anesthesia sessions using an XP modifier. Does anyone know anything about that or should it be billed as one anesthesia sessions using the code with the highest RVU

Anesthesiologist doesn't get to use xp modifier. You bill the highest revenue anesthesia code and the longer the procedure takes the more time units you get to bill. You aren't putting the patient under twice. You are keeping them under the whole time

Last edited:
If you're billing for the anesthesia, you need to confirm if the CRNA was supervised by an anesthesiologist. If so, you may need to submit a claim for the anesthesiologist with a QY modifier as well as a claim for he CRNA with a QX modifier. This is dependent on whether or not you're in-network with the insurance. If the CRNA was only supervised by the surgeon, the claim would need a QZ modifier.

As stated above, code out the surgeons' procedure(s). Then, crosswalk each surgery code using the ASA crosswalk, and choose the anesthesia code with the highest base units. You will bill out the total time for all procedures for this case, and your total units will equal the base units you've just determined + the total time.

Thank you for the replies. I contacted an expert and was told that it needs to billed as one continuous procedure using the CPT code with the highest RVU. So thanks again and I hope that this clears up any confusion other people may have had on this issue. We already bill with the QZ modifier because we only have CRNAs on staff.