Wiki anesthesia coding question

jsecor

Best answers
Can anyone assist with my questions from the anesthesiologist. Is there a way to bill for major positional changes that allows for any additional reimbursement to the provider? I have read where you could get 2-3 additional units depending on positioning. What exactly does that mean, and how is that actually done? This is typically done for MUA's where I believe regardless of how many positional changes are done, they are still only getting paid for the minimum 5 base units, depending on procedure. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

According to the 2013 ASA RVU Guide (page xi)
"Any procedure around the head, neck, or shoulder girdle, requiring field avoidance, or any procedure requiring a position other than supine or lithotomy, has a minimum Base Value of 5 regardless of any lesser base value assigned to such procedure in the body of the Relative Value Guide."

Traditional Medicare WILL NOT allow extra value for positioning.

Check with other carriers-for example United Health Care requires the following:
"Only anesthesia management services with a base value of less than 5 units appended with modifier 22 for unusual positioning of field avoidance would be considered for additional reimbursement when submitted with supporting documentation. Other anesthesia management services will not be allowed additional reimbursement with modifier 22."

Michelle,
Thanks for the reply, this is most helpful and we can better explain this information to the provider. :)