Wiki Anesthesia assist and base units billed

Best answers
I am billing a case that required two MD anesthesiologists due to the complexity of the case. Do both MD's get to bill base units? If so can someone explain the logic or regulations guiding this, so I can explain that to insurance if they underpay or deny the 2nd MD's claim? Thanks!

I am billing a case that required two MD anesthesiologists due to the complexity of the case. Do both MD's get to bill base units? If so can someone explain the logic or regulations guiding this, so I can explain that to insurance if they underpay or deny the 2nd MD's claim? Thanks!

Per CMS Chapter 12 page 119, they give you an example of when both an MD and CRNA are on the same case; Here is that quote: "The physician and the CRNA (or anesthesiologist’s assistant) are involved in one anesthesia case and the services of each are found to be medically necessary. Documentation must be submitted by both the CRNA and the physician to support payment of the full fee for each of the two providers. The physician reports the AA modifier and the CRNA reports the QZ modifier".
I can't image it would be any different for 2 MD's. They would report AA on each of their claims, provide documentation that would support the medical necessity of both of them.