Wiki AMA ICD-10 CM Official Code Book vs AAPC ICD-10 CM Expert ?

Mayzoo

Expert
Best answers
What are the major differences between these two publishers?

Both seem to have guidelines and all the chapters. Does the AMA version have as many illustrations as the AAPC version?

I don't know the difference between the 2 publishers. I do know that if you are taking a Certification exam you'll only be able to use the AMA CPT version.

I don't know the difference between the 2 publishers. I do know that if you are taking a Certification exam you'll only be able to use the AMA CPT version.

Thanks, I am taking the CRC exam thus I can only bring an ICD book of my choice, so I am looking at options.

Aww.. Ok. You can use any version & any publisher for ICD-10-CM. Like I said before, I unfortunately, do not know the difference between the publishers. Sorry.

I received my AMA version a few days ago. I noticed a few differences I will post here for those also looking. Overall they appear very similar in content and structure.

1. No tabs were included with the AMA book. So far, I have been able to remove my tabs from the AAPC book and reuse them with no issue.

2. The "Risk Adjustment; HCC and the Importance of Complete, Accurate ICD-10-CM coding" section from the AAPC book is not included in the AMA book. Only two pages anyway, but worth mentioning.

3. AMA and AAPC both have illustrations, just in different spots.

4. The chapter color variants are brighter and easier to distinguish at a glance in the AMA version.