Wiki Am i coding this right? Pt with rash and skin cancer screening.

JesseL

Expert
Best answers
We have a New patient here who complains of having a rash. He also mentions that he has personal history of Nasopharyngeal Cancer and one of the symptoms he had were a rashes when he had this cancer so he also wanted a skin cancer screening.

The rash was evaluated and Rx prescribed for it.

A skin cancer screening was done, because of patient's history of cancer, he was concerned with having skin cancer.

Patient also has Xerosis, educated patient on using moisturizer and such.

A detailed history taken, detailed full body exam, medical decision making of moderate complexity.

This is how I have coded:
1. 692.9 - Dermatitis NOS
2. 706.8 - Xerosis
3. V76.43 - Screening for malignant neoplasms
4. V10.02 - Personal history of cancer of the nasopharynx.

Or is it this way?

99203-25
99401 -preventive medicine counselling.

I've never coded screenings before so I'm concerned I'm coding it in the wrong order. Patient has HIP Emblem Health NY. Also concerned if it's even covered or should I just code only the diagnosis and not the screening.

Last edited:
We have a New patient here who complains of having a rash. He also mentions that he has personal history of Nasopharyngeal Cancer and one of the symptoms he had were a rashes when he had this cancer so he also wanted a skin cancer screening.

The rash was evaluated and Rx prescribed for it.

A skin cancer screening was done, because of patient's history of cancer, he was concerned with having skin cancer.

Patient also has Xerosis, educated patient on using moisturizer and such.

A detailed history taken, detailed full body exam, medical decision making of moderate complexity.

This is how I have coded:
1. 692.9 - Dermatitis NOS
2. 706.8 - Xerosis
3. V76.43 - Screening for malignant neoplasms
4. V10.02 - Personal history of cancer of the nasopharynx.

Or is it this way?

99203-25
99401 -preventive medicine counselling.

I've never coded screenings before so I'm concerned I'm coding it in the wrong order. Patient has HIP Emblem Health NY. Also concerned if it's even covered or should I just code only the diagnosis and not the screening.

You may not code the screening V code since the patient is actively symptomatic, especially since he relates this was a symptom of the previous cancer. Screening must be for a patient that is asymptomatic on presentation.