Wiki Allergy testing finds no allergy

klen

Contributor
Best answers
Hi All,

My doctor performs allergy testing, but when the test(s) show no identified allergies, he still bills an allergy DX code.
For example, "Patient has completed penicillin skin testing and oral challenge without any signs or symptoms consistent with IgE mediated intolerance to this medication. Explained to patient in great length in detail that the risk of future or potential reaction to penicillin, or penicillin-related products is similar to the general population who are not currently penicillin-allergic Therefore, in the event patient was prescribed penicillin they should proceed with this medication as directed with the expectation they will tolerate this medication without difficulty, exactly the same as the general population."

Obviously the testing shows no penicillin allergy, however he still bills Dx code Z88.0 - Penicillin Allergy, on the claim.

I would like to educate him on the appropriate code to use when testing fails to demonstrate an allergy but cannot find one. Does anyone know of an appropriate diagnosis code in this situation?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Hi All,

My doctor performs allergy testing, but when the test(s) show no identified allergies, he still bills an allergy DX code.
For example, "Patient has completed penicillin skin testing and oral challenge without any signs or symptoms consistent with IgE mediated intolerance to this medication. Explained to patient in great length in detail that the risk of future or potential reaction to penicillin, or penicillin-related products is similar to the general population who are not currently penicillin-allergic Therefore, in the event patient was prescribed penicillin they should proceed with this medication as directed with the expectation they will tolerate this medication without difficulty, exactly the same as the general population."

Obviously the testing shows no penicillin allergy, however he still bills Dx code Z88.0 - Penicillin Allergy, on the claim.

I would like to educate him on the appropriate code to use when testing fails to demonstrate an allergy but cannot find one. Does anyone know of an appropriate diagnosis code in this situation?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Diagnosis for a negative allergy test would be Encounter for allergy testing (ICD-10-CM Z01.82). The diagnosis code is the reason for the encounter: allergy testing. That no additional diagnosis codes are coded indicates [to payers] that the testing was negative. If testing was positive, then you would code Z01.82 as the primary diagnosis and any findings/positive results as an additional diagnosis.