Wiki Allergy/Asthma

Ronilynn

Contributor
Best answers
We have an allergy/asthma department and our provider would like to start scheduling office visit that are basically "educational" visits regarding the pt's particular allergy and/or asthma and how to manage it. So they are not coming in b/c they are "sick" or specifically having problems. Is anyone familiar with this type of visit and how it would be coded...ICD9 and CPT? I'm having some issues trying to locate the right codes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Rhonda

I was just given some new information about this...it is not our dr that will be doing the visits. It will be a certified asthma educator. ?? HELP!!!

You will need to review your local payor requirements for this type of provider. Educational or counsling visits by a physician are coded as E/M visits based on total face to face time with more than 50% spent on the counseling or education.

i am thinking of 98960-98962: the education is prescribed by a physician but can be performed by other healthcare profesionals. The education is to enable patients to self-manage illnesses that the provider already diagnosed in these patients.

Hope it helps