Wiki Allergy Antigen Waste

NESmith

Expert
Best answers
I really hope someone can help me with this question.

If a patient decides to no longer do their treatment of Allergy shots can either the insurance or the patient be billed for the remaining vials?

The vials are made in advance and because of special mixing/diluting requirements, therefore 1 vial cannot be made up. So if the patient decides to stop treatment after the first or second vial for whatever reason, how then can the office recoup the expense of the wasted vials?

Thank You as always for your help.

Suggestion Possible?

Is it possible that the Allergist could write a prescription for the vials needed for the first round and have the patient fill it through their mail-order to pharmacy? This is what one orthopedic doctor had me do and working the health field also, I understood why I had to do this. I was going to get 3 rounds of Synvisc injections in both knees for 3 weeks coming into the office one a week. Before beginning treatment he wrote me a prescription to get filled through my pharmacy benefit which cost me $250 for the 6 shots of Synvisc II.

I know for sure I was going to see these shots through to the end after shelling out the money for the injections. My doctor then only had to bill an E/M and administering for the drug because he did examine me before and after the injections. This helps his practice by not getting stuck with unused injections. Plus, it keeps me dedicated to see the treatment through to the end.