Wiki Admit to Inpt from ER

AshleyMartin

Networker
Best answers
A patient was seen in the ER and my physician (cardiologist) was called regarding the patient and he said the patient needed to be admitted. The admit orders were done with my physician as the admitting MD. Here is where I am confused. My physician did not see the patient face to face on the day of the admission so how do I bill for the admit? Do I just bill the admit charge on the next day, the day he actually saw the patient face to face for the first time?

Initial Hospital Visit

You will code the Initial Hospital Visit on the date the service was actually provided.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

If the Cardiologist was called in, (Consultation) who signed the admit order?( admission) If the admit order was signed by the ER physician they get to charge for the admission. If the Cardiologist did not see the patient until the next day, it is a subsequent hospital encounter and not a follow up consult. F/U consults must have a request from physician or other appropriate source.

If it is same physician who saw the patient in ER and also admit him to the hospital, then it should be considered as intial inpatient care, the ER visit should not be bill, if admitting physician is different from the one who saw the patient in ER then this visit can be billed as ER visit