Wiki Acute intervertebral disc herniation

lizzardb

Networker
Best answers
Is there an ICD-9-CM code for an acute herniation of the C5-C6 disk?

I know 722.0 is more of a chronic code, but it appears the patient herniated her disk possibly picking up a child.

What do you recommend?

Nope sorry, should have been more specific, for ones not documented as trauma it is 722.0. For definite trauma C5-C6, I would use 839.05, 839.06. If its "possible" though I dont know if I would definitely assume trauma related. If you use the trauma related ones there is a good chance the insurance company will send a questionnaire to the patient assuming it is auto or work related so I would probably watch the reimbursement on this one to make sure the insurance company doesnt pend your claim forever waiting for a COB questionnare from the patient.

I work for a Radiology company and we use "S" codes for herniated discs as they pertain to MVA and WC trauma cases.

If the PT presents with back pain after an accident and the Dr is to R/O herniation and this if found on the imaging, we code as "S" chapter 19 [due to trauma].

I have been given a different opinion and am being advised we should not be coding the cases in that way. We were advised to use "M50 -M51" category.

To me that category is for "chronic" conditions.

Does anyone have any guidance on this?