Wiki Accupuncture pain in knee due to osteoarthritis

lexifilly

New
Best answers
Help. It's been a while since I passed my CPC. Just started billing for a nutritionist and acupuncturist. Coding has caught my eye in denials. Cigna will cover knee pain. The person coding is going off of a list of codes provided by Cigna. 715.16 is for osteoarthritis (primary localized lower leg) and is listed as a code they accept. Must I or would it cause a problem if I added another code for pain or is that a symptom in this case and does not need to be included? Thank you for your help. I obviously have a lot of refreshing to do.

Read the coding guidelines in the front of the code book, look for the guidelines for pain management , the 338 codes. This should answer all of your questions. And if the provider just states osteoarthritis of the knee, the correct code is 715.36, not stated as primary or secondary, the coder cannot assume primary status, therefore not documented is code as not stated.

Thank you - employer does not provide books ahhhhhhh

I thank you for your help! My employer does not provide books and unfortunately mine are not current. The employer relies on lists of code numbers with just the title of the code. It is frustrating! Perhaps I should equate the cost of a denied claim to a new book. Don't know how else to get the employer to understand the value of information the book provides.

accupuncture dx denial

I am having the same issue with Cigna denying dx code 71941 stating that the code expired on 5/2013 and they no longer accept the code. What else do you use for pain in shoulder region?

I thank you for your help! My employer does not provide books and unfortunately mine are not current. The employer relies on lists of code numbers with just the title of the code. It is frustrating! Perhaps I should equate the cost of a denied claim to a new book. Don't know how else to get the employer to understand the value of information the book provides.

The guidelines are available free of charge at the CDC website.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd.htm
Just go to ICD-9 CM and scroll down to guidelines and download the PDF file.