Wiki Accounting for post-op visits

Best answers
I am billing for the surgeon. From a compliance standpoint, is it necessary to account for hospital post-op visits in our PM system? For instance, the surgeon sees an in-patient each day after surgery and documents in their hospital medical record the service he performs. From a pro-fee billing standpoint, these visits are included in the global fee and not billable. Is it necessary to enter each visit with a 99024 to account for the service even though there is no fee and the service is never sent to the payer?

Our practice is completely independent of the facility, and as it stands now, I do not bill for the inpatient post-ops the immediately follow the surgery. I'm also curious if anyone else handles this differently.

I bill for a surgery group that is owned by a hospital. We do bill for the 99024, but we do not send it to insurance or patients. It is billed for our records only to keep track of non-RVUs codes that my physicians bill for.

We also keep track of the 99024 'visits'. Even though there are no RVUs or payment attached, our providers do get internal credit for the visit. Since I'm assuming that your provider has documented the visit in the patient's chart to support the appropriate care, you would at the very least have a hard record of the visit having taken place. Our purpose for posting the global visit is for reporting and administrative purposes. If you would be required for some sort of pay-for-performance project to report that post-op visit, not having it in your billing system would create a problem. (and based on your payer guidelines may be a compliance issue). But I am not sure of any specific guidelines that say you absolutely must post the global visit from a compliance perspective....anyone?