Wiki accident during a procedure

tlemack

New
Best answers
Our MA was jabbed with a needle during a procedure. We ordered a blood test for the pt to make sure pt did not have HIV. What dx code do we use for this blood test?

It is screening for other viral disease I am in the airport with out my book but you can look it up. The coding guidelines address this issue.

You are billing the patients insurance for your mistake? Was it the patients fault the MA got jabbed?

I don't know if that is right or not, but where I work that is a cost absorbed by the office, not the patient.

Laura, CPC

I would NOT bill the patient

I certainly would not bill the patient who has no medical reason for being screened for HIV. You are doing so just because your staff member got a needle stick.

Now ... if you are talking about billing YOUR insurance for screening the MA's blood ... that's a different story. Here you have a dx of possible exposure.

Also by submitting to the patient's insurance you have "marked" that patient's medical history.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

I totally mis read this I thought they were screening the MA for some odd reason! So I will back track and agree with the others you cannot bill the patient's insurance.