Wiki abscess drainage

mommacode

Networker
Best answers
patient seen in ER for toe abscess. Physician numbs the toe with lidocaine and uses mosquito forceps to enlarged the opening for drainage. Should this be coded as a an I&D, and I&D with a reduced service modifier since no real incision is made or just be part of E/M?

In my opinion, it would be an E&M since it was a straight forward problem and the I&D codes don't really describe what was performed.

patient seen in ER for toe abscess. Physician numbs the toe with lidocaine and uses mosquito forceps to enlarged the opening for drainage. Should this be coded as a an I&D, and I&D with a reduced service modifier since no real incision is made or just be part of E/M?

The documentation would be the main consideration for which code. Regardless if a knife or a mosquito was used, the abscess was entered. Was the wound packed? This, to me is an I&D, especially if a pack was opened, the area was anesthetized, and if the wound was packed. This may be a case where the provider under documented themselves out of an appropriate fee.

Last edited: