Wiki Aborted Induced Abortion

Best answers
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with the coding for the following. A patient came in the office because she wanted to have an induced AB. The laminaria was inserted on this day. She returned on the following day to complete the procedure, however after prepping her cervix with betadine and giving her lidocaine and inserting the speculum the patient started pulling away and acting very ambivalent about her decision. The doctor thought it was best to abort the procedure for the well being of the patient.

I was thinking I could code 59841 -53 but I am not sure what Dx code I should use since the AB was not completed. I was looking at Z53.9 or should I use Z33.2 because that was the intended DX? Any help wouldb be appreciated.

Thank you Tracy. I was thinking that initially and maybe I could just bill an office visit. But I am still not sure what DX I would use.

Thank you Tracy. I was thinking that initially and maybe I could just bill an office visit. But I am still not sure what DX I would use.

if the patient declined to go thru with the abortion then use a pregnancy code or pregnancy supervision code depending on if the patient has any complicating factors such as diabetes or HTN or there are fetal abnormalities. You just would not code that an abortion was planned and not performed.

if the patient declined to go thru with the abortion then use a pregnancy code or pregnancy supervision code depending on if the patient has any complicating factors such as diabetes or HTN or there are fetal abnormalities. You just would not code that an abortion was planned and not performed.

That makes sense since she is still pregnant and there are no complications as of present. Thank you.