Wiki AAPC Becoming a Driving Force Behind Entry Level Coders!

Best answers
How can we become employed once certified??

How can we find work coding without experience? I can't even find work in something related in order to get considered later for a coding dept job. I'm afraid I will forget everything by the time someone might take pity and hire someone without experience. If no new coders are integrated into the healthcare system, billing is going to become a mess when the experienced coders retire or simply move on. Even surgeons go through a period of training before they are trusted to perform on their own.
Anyone else regret schooling and sweating the exam because they can't find work?

Last edited:
Have you tried using AAPC's coder practice material? I haven't used it, but I've heard it's a great way to gain experience while waiting on that first all important job as it's something you can put in your resume.

If you don't mind me asking, what other jobs have you been looking for? The reason I ask is...

I've seen some of us who seem to "win the lottery" and start working directly in a billing department after school as a coder, or maybe working in collections, or working in referrals/authorizations, etc. I've see others like me who started working as a receptionist or as a telephone operator or in medical records or in any other kind of administrative support position.

I'll just say to keep your options open. I had help to get my first medical job after school as that receptionist for an orthopedic practice. It was there that I first starting learning the practical side of billing/coding as school can only teach you so much.

At any rate... if it's something you really want to do, I wouldn't give up on it.

Marla Minichilli, CPC

Working the back end of things in an account receivable area helps with understanding coding / billing from a real situation perspective vs.workbook/classroom scenarios. Some of the best CPC's started out in billing!

Same story here.

How can we find work coding without experience? I can't even find work in something related in order to get considered later for a coding dept job. I'm afraid I will forget everything by the time someone might take pity and hire someone without experience. If no new coders are integrated into the healthcare system, billing is going to become a mess when the experienced coders retire or simply move on. Even surgeons go through a period of training before they are trusted to perform on their own.
Anyone else regret schooling and sweating the exam because they can't find work?

Even I completed certification 1 year back. But without experience it's very difficult to find job. Even i am afraid I will forget everything and will loose confidence.
Can anybody enlighten me?
Thanks
Sincere member.:)