Wiki AAA, Carotid abd ABI Screenings

Best answers
I work for a family practice group and we have begun screenings for AAA, carotid and ABI. WE have an inhouse radiology and ultrasound dept. The tech tells us that they are not completing
these tests in full if they do not see any significant abnormalities or if everything looks normal to them. I am thinking that they need to complete the test because the physician is looking for
results of a complete test. I have searched for some information on this, but could not find anything. It is not their call to stop the test, and the radiologist has the final say on reading the images. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

A technician is not qualified to determine whether or not there are 'significant abnormalities' - I believe that would be considered practicing outside the scope of their license - they should be doing only what the physicians order or instruct them to do. You, or your provider or manager, should take these concerns to the technician's supervising physician and let them handle this, or else otherwise explain why they feel that what the technician is doing is appropriate. I'm not sure what your role is, but unless you are a physician, you shouldn't need to find any information on this yourself - it is a legitimate question that they should be able to answer for you, and it is the supervising physician's responsibility to ensure quality in the staff and equipment of the department that they oversee.

Last edited: