Wiki 99441-99443

rebrikv1

New
Best answers
What are documentation requirements for CPT codes 9944-99443? When modifier -93 should be used instead of these codes?

The service documentation needs to support the medical necessity of the visit. The cpt code descriptors are:
1717624845898.png

I am not sure I am understanding the modifier ask. It would be added to the CPT code above. I hope that helps.

Thank you! These codes are not listed in Appendix T, so I was assuming that modifier -93 cannot be used with these codes.
I hate to say it (and I know you don't want to hear it) but it is going to be based on payer guidelines. You can boo that it you want to! ;)

What are documentation requirements for CPT codes 9944-99443? When modifier -93 should be used instead of these codes?
In addition to the usual documentation requirements for any E/M services, documentation must obviously also include the mode (audio-only) of delivery and the amount of time spent in medical discussion since these are time-based codes. These codes are not in Appendix T since the code itself states it is audio only, so the 93 modifier would not be appropriate. In addition to this, effective 01/01/2024, provider documentation should also include the reason for the encounter being done via audio-only vs audio-video or in-person. Here is a link to an article by Terry Fletcher based on the CMS Final Rule.

In addition to the usual documentation requirements for any E/M services, documentation must obviously also include the mode (audio-only) of delivery and the amount of time spent in medical discussion since these are time-based codes. These codes are not in Appendix T since the code itself states it is audio only, so the 93 modifier would not be appropriate. In addition to this, effective 01/01/2024, provider documentation should also include the reason for the encounter being done via audio-only vs audio-video or in-person. Here is a link to an article by Terry Fletcher based on the CMS Final Rule.
DO THE AUDIO ONLY (9944X) CODES ALSO UTILIZE THE POS 02 & 10 LOCATIONS LIKE THE AUDIO/VISUAL TELEHEALTH?