Wiki 99402 by Title X

Best answers
Hello!

We have a Title X counselor in our office, who provided counseling via a telephone encounter. Can I bill 99402 for this service? Or is this restricted to Physician only? Is my only option to bill 99211?
Thank You!

CPT codes 99401-99404 are not on the list of services that could be provided via telehealth. So I don't think you could bill them for phone visits. You might try the telephone E&M codes for non-physicians in the range of 98966-98968. Here is a description of this category of codes per Encoder Pro.

Telephone Services
transparent.gif
98966-98968
Telephone services are non-face-to-face assessment and management services provided by a qualified health care professional to a patient using the telephone. These codes are used to report episodes of care by the qualified health care professional initiated by an established patient or guardian of an established patient. If the telephone service ends with a decision to see the patient within 24 hours or the next available urgent visit appointment, the code is not reported; rather the encounter is considered part of the preservice work of the subsequent assessment and management service, procedure, and visit. Likewise, if the telephone call refers to a service performed and reported by the qualified health care professional within the previous seven days (either qualified health care professional requested or unsolicited patient follow-up) or within the postoperative period of the previously completed procedure, then the service(s) are considered part of that previous service or procedure. (Do not report 98966-98968 if reporting 98966-98968 performed in the previous seven days.)