Wiki 99401

Biller2023

Networker
Best answers
Medicare is not paying for 99401 (preventive counselling). Is there a replacement code for this that we can use to bill Medicare

What type of preventive counseling are you trying to bill to Medicare with 99401?

Most of Medicare's preventive and screening services have specific HCPCS codes for the services they will cover, and these codes tend to be specific to a condition or type of service covered by the HCPCS codes. Although some preventive and screening services are billable to Medicare with CPT codes.

We are trying to bill Medicare for preventive counselling for obesity, dietary surveillance, other specified counselling, injury prevention counselling. Please let me know what codes to use (both CPT/HCPCS & ICD 10 codes)

We are trying to bill Medicare for preventive counselling for obesity, dietary surveillance, other specified counselling, injury prevention counselling. Please let me know what codes to use (both CPT/HCPCS & ICD 10 codes)
Medicare doesn't cover CPT 99401 at all. For the few preventive counseling services covered by Medicare, there are specific CPTs & HCPCS required for billing these services as well as the covered DXs for the various types of counseling that are covered.

There is a page on CMS.gov regarding Medicare Coverage of Preventive Services linked here, and on this page there is a specific list of counseling & therapies that are covered by Medicare. Here is a screen shot of the list of covered services.
1701365286174.png

Hi
G0447 at least 15 minutes for obesity dx E66, add BMI% Z68 .The website above gives you more G codes to use for Medicare funded patients.
I hope this helps you
Lady T