Wiki 99401 what modifier?

schanderson

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I am confused and am looking for the correct direction. At our office my physician is billing the office visit code and the 99401 what modifer goes on the 99401? I have seen in other threads to place a 25 on it, but I am confused with that because others are stating to put a 59 on the 99401. My logic says that it would be a modifier 25 on the E/M code and then a 59 on the 99401 ,but this is the world of billing and there is always exceptions to every rule. Guidance and direction would be greatly appreciated thank you.
:eek:

In my opinion you would append a 25 modifier to the office visit to show it was significant, separately identifiable E/M. That is, IF the documentation supports it, the time of 99401 is documented, it is separate from the E/M, the office visit was not a preventive (e.g. 99395), the payer allows 99401 AND payer guideline doesn't say to use a different modifier such as 59, etc.
99401 lives in the E/M section of the CPT book.

Look at part of the Modifier 59 definition: "Modifier 59 is used to identify procedures/services, other than E/M services, that are not normally reported together, but are appropriate under the circumstances." "To report a separate and distinct E/M service with a non-E/M service performed on the same date (refer modifier 25)."
Then part of Modifier 25 definition: " significant, separately identifiable evaluation and management (E/M) service by the same physician or other qualified health care professional on the same day of the procedure or other service."

Our practice is having an issue now. Whereas before we used to bill 99401 with 99213 all the time we got paid for both without a problem. As of recent they started denying the 99213 and paying only for 99401. When asked one of the billing departments said that it is due to an NCCI edit where 99401 is a column 1 code, 99213 is a column 2 code. Which means that 99213 is included in the 99401. We've been billing them both together for years so I am not sure if this is a new development or if 99401 includes "preventive" in its description and that is conflicting with another e/m code. But now, the same insurance company that told me this is reimbursing me for both 99401/99213. our modifiers are there all the time but I was wondering if anyone has a reliable source that says these cannot be billed together or that it can be with the exception of mod 25.