Wiki 99354-prolonged service

jackiems

Networker
Best answers
Is anyone utilizing this cpt code in their practice along with the normal ov e/m codes? Some of our docs have begun to use it and now some patients
are getting a bill for two copays. Which of course they are disputing ( and I agree ) . Our docs are documenting the time in order to bill for it but how are your docs/office handling this? I would think that one of the co-pays would get written off because its like double dipping.
Thanks

Is anyone utilizing this cpt code in their practice along with the normal ov e/m codes? Some of our docs have begun to use it and now some patients
are getting a bill for two copays. Which of course they are disputing ( and I agree ) . Our docs are documenting the time in order to bill for it but how are your docs/office handling this? I would think that one of the co-pays would get written off because its like double dipping.
Thanks
The prolonged service code just shows that the physician spent more than the usual time with his/her patient, for a specific documented reason, on the same encounter day, face to face, with at least 50% of the time spent in counseling and/or coordinating care. Therefore, there would not be a separate copay. You're just informing the insurance company that you spent x amount of time on this patient and expect to be compensated for it.

Did you find anything else out about this? We have recently started using99354 and have the same problem with 2 co pays. Plus, we are also wondering if the time has to be documented with a start and stop time. Thanks!