Wiki 99213 & 90832 same DOS different providers

volleyb13

Networker
Best answers
I have a psychiatrist who is providing a E/M on the same date of service that a therapist is providing individual psychotherapy. Since the services are being provided by 2 different providers, I cannot bill as 99213 & 90833. Is it appropriate to bill as 99213 & 90832 and appeal as 2 different providers same DOS?

Any info on this situation would be wonderful. They of course denied since it is a CCI edit that 99213 & 90832 are not allowed to be billed on the same DOS, but they were by different providers.

:confused:

I have a psychiatrist who is providing a E/M on the same date of service that a therapist is providing individual psychotherapy. Since the services are being provided by 2 different providers, I cannot bill as 99213 & 90833. Is it appropriate to bill as 99213 & 90832 and appeal as 2 different providers same DOS?

Any info on this situation would be wonderful. They of course denied since it is a CCI edit that 99213 & 90832 are not allowed to be billed on the same DOS, but they were by different providers.

:confused:

I'm fairly new to behavioral health billing, but I've heard of our agency having the same issue; especially with our Medicaid/MCO clients. Our Reimbursement Manager contacted the Medicaid MCO's Billing Manager and we were advised to use a modifier 25 on the E/M charge, but (shocker), the claims were rejected. We've since done some appeals and they've been hit or miss from what I've heard. This said, when I looked into this with VA DMAS I found that therapy provided by a LCSW or LPC wasn't reimbursable with an E/M visit provided by a doctor, but a CNS was.

Blah. If you find out any other info I'd be interested to know.

Lena

Thank you Lena. And wow, very surprised they told you to use a 25 modifier, since that should only be used by the same physician providing both the services. I will post if I find out any additional info. :)

Lcsw

I too am looking at any and all templates, documentation requirements for LCSW seeing patients in physician office. I called medicare and could not be given information as to bill incident to or with own medicare number. Any information is greatly appreciated.

I too am looking at any and all templates, documentation requirements for LCSW seeing patients in physician office. I called medicare and could not be given information as to bill incident to or with own medicare number. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Lisa, have you found anything? I was looking into the new XP modifier.

Lena

When I append modifiers 25 and 59, the codes get through our edits. We frequently have 2 services on one day: 1 service with the psychiatrist for med. management and psychotherapy and the other service is a group therapy visit by another provider. So the coding would look like this:

99213-25
90833-59

Same DOS different Providers

I am fairly new to Behavioral Health, My provider A (Psych) started a Telehealth visit at 9:45 am and then then Provider B (Medical Telehealth) stepped in and did a medical visit which took approx. 20 Min. Then Provider A completed his Visit.

Question is Can both providers bill? How does the Time factor work in the patients EMR?

TIA Patty