Wiki 99211, not for providers???

stephmhut

Best answers
Recently the billing office has hired some auditors who now are saying we can not use 99211 for providers?!?!?! Also that if there is not enough documentation for a 99212 then i can not bill anything at all. I have never heard anything so ludicrous!!!!!!!!

Any ideas? Advice?

You are correct... 99211 is a provider level. There is no nurse level, that is a label that coders have given to refer to the 99211, however it is not a nurse level. It is the providers level they may charge as a face to face for 5 min or less or they may charge when qualified ancillary personnel in the office are carring out the providers orders from a previous encounter while the provider is in the office. No matter how you say it it is a provider level ONLY.

Thanks! This lady is saying its ONLY for RN's/CNM's and of course incident to. But i was taken aback when she said that if there is not enough documentation for a 99212 then i could not code anything at all!!! So even if one of my docs saw a patient for a quick 5 minute visit then I could not code anything. Just sounds crazy. She also says she has documentation on this that I have requested to see. Would you know of documentation I could show her to counter this?

While I agree that 99211 must be billed under a provider since RNs do not have the ability to bill independently I don't see how a provider could see a patient and not qualify for at least a 99212.

All you need is a CC and 2 of the 3 components consisting of 1 HPI element, 1 element of exam, and SF MDM. If they don't have the documentation to support that I would question the medical necessity of the doctor being involved at all. If they are spending 5 minutes or less with the patient they still have to document enough to support billing an evaluation and management service whether they are a nurse or a physician/mid-level. I would be interested in seeing the documentation the auditor stated did not qualify for a 99212 or 99211 by the physician.

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC