Wiki 99140 - Emergency

missyah20

Guru
Best answers
Good morning -
Does anyone know offhand what insurances will reimburse for code 99140. I work for a billing company and we bill for anesthesia practices through-out the US. If anyone can help me out on any of the big insurance co's such as Medicare, Medicaid, BCBS, UHC, Aetna ect that would be great. Thanks!

Missyah20,

I'm located in Nebraska and most of my payers EXCEPT Medicare, Medicaid, and BCBS cover the emergency qualifying circumstance 99140 charge but this may also be dependent on specifics of each provider contract.

Julie D, CPC

Qualifying circumstances

:confused:I bill for a group in SC, and BCBS say that 99100 and 99140 etc are covered charges but they are denying them as needing a modifier. What modifier would you put on these( QX or QS for example)? They won't tell us of course. I can't think what else to use in order to get them paid.

Missouri

I work in Missouri. From what I can tell, everyone here except Medicare and Medicaid allows the qualifying circumstance codes to be billed.

Hope that helps.

Thanks to both of you for the response. I think the issue is the fact that I only bill for CRNA's. I thought I'd found the answer today from a work colleague ( I work for a large billing company) but the fact that an MD puts AA on their 99140's in no way means that putting the correct QX or whatever on CRNA's billing will get paid. It seems as if the CRNA's are actually quite restricted in what we can bill for them. Billing arterial lines, CVP lines and SGC's is also a problem.
Once again, many thanks.