Wiki 99080 - I have a quick question for you all

Best answers
Hello,

I have a quick question for you all that maybe you can shed some insight. There is some confusion on cpt code 99080. Is it okay to use 99080 to report extra icd-9 codes without duplicating e/m codes.I am managed care and dx is the key element here so this would not be for fee for service claim submission. I was told (by some payers/coders) that it was okay to use and then some say no (by other payers/coders).

Example of use:

99214 = first four diagnosis
99080 (0$ value) = four more
99080 = four more
99080 = etc….

This in turn allows us to capture all Dx without duplication of e/m visit. If possible could anybody help with this situation even though I do know this does not pertain to ICD-10. Ive looked around online but I see they just refer to its paper filing and writing use, but I also see different usage for its definition “special reports such as insurance forms, one being HCFA 1500, more than the information conveyed in usual medical forms (i.e. all other 20 diagnosis reviewed and documented not normally able to transmit).

Thank you all again

99080 can be billed when the patient requests medical forms to be completed in the practice such as FMLA, short term disability, handicap parking, release from jury duty... that's when we bill the code with a small fee.

Sorry, not sure how to submit more than 4 diagnoses, especially if it's a software limitation.