Wiki 99024

19tammy75

New
Best answers
When billing out a 99024 can you charge that patient a copay and not send it to the insurance company because the patient would get credit for paying that? This has been a debate and I would like the honest truth on this subject because I feel this would be insurance fraud?????
Thank you for anyone that can help with this..

Last edited:
Unless you are in a state that requires reporting of 99024, you wouldn't "bill" a post-operative 99024 at all. Further, you can't charge a patient for it because it is included in the global surgical package. I don't understand how this could be a debated subject.

This is my point I am being told by the billing lady that has been doing the billing says to bill out a 99024 and do not send it to the insurance company but collect a copay every time because she negotiated contracts to do so with the insurance company. But since she is collecting a copay it should be reported so the patient would get credit for it. I just do not want to keep this going and let her know that she cannot do that before she wants me to do so because I feel this is very incorrect doing. I have not had any other office I have worked for do this. So please let me know how to handle this situation? Thank you for your help..

Unless you are in a state that requires reporting of 99024, you wouldn't "bill" a post-operative 99024 at all. Further, you can't charge a patient for it because it is included in the global surgical package. I don't understand how this could be a debated subject.

This is my point I am being told by the billing lady that has been doing the billing says to bill out a 99024 and do not send it to the insurance company but collect a copay every time because she negotiated contracts to do so with the insurance company. But since she is collecting a copay it should be reported so the patient would get credit for it. I just do not want to keep this going and let her know that she cannot do that before she wants me to do so because I feel this is very incorrect doing. I have not had any other office I have worked for do this. So please let me know how to handle this situation? Thank you for your help..

All post-op care during the global period is covered under the payment for the surgery itself, with limited exceptions for x-rays, etc. I would ask to see a copy of the contract that she negotiated with the insurance company that allows this. How is the payment being applied to the patient account?