Wiki 96365

You can bill it alone, but many payers will deny it because without knowing what drug was given, they will be unable to determine whether or not that service is covered under the patient's plan.

You can bill it alone, but many payers will deny it because without knowing what drug was given, they will be unable to determine whether or not that service is covered under the patient's plan.
I see. No wonder I get rejections for billing it alone. I don't think insurance will pay for Ketamine for mental health.

In the past in this scenario, I have put the drug on the claim for reporting with a .01 or .00 fee.
A payer might have instructions on this in manuals.

I see. No wonder I get rejections for billing it alone. I don't think insurance will pay for Ketamine for mental health.

If the drug isn't covered under the patient's plan, the infusion administration isn't typically payable either. That's why most payers want to see the J code for the drug, even if you aren't billing for the actual drug.

We have a lot of cases where our patient gets an infusion drug for free. As @amyjph mentioned above, we usually bill those as penny claims. (0.01 on the line with the J code.)

If the drug isn't covered under the patient's plan, the infusion administration isn't typically payable either. That's why most payers want to see the J code for the drug, even if you aren't billing for the actual drug.

We have a lot of cases where our patient gets an infusion drug for free. As @amyjph mentioned above, we usually bill those as penny claims. (0.01 on the line with the J code.)
I see. If the drug is not payable, the procedure will be denied also. That's nice to know (y)(y)(y)

Agree. You can put the J code on there but it's not going to mean the administration will be paid. A specific example I am thinking of is exactly what Susan mentioned. Sometimes the patient gets a sample or carries in a drug themselves for admin.