Wiki 96110 - driven code

chesmith

Contributor
Best answers
Can anyone tell me if 96110 is a time driven code? Another words does the doctor need to document the time (31 plus minutes) in order to bill this code seperately from a preventative or an office visit?

Thanks in advance

CPT 96110 is not a time based code. In my clinic the provider must document the results of the questionnare(s) in the chart to indicate the results of the screening form, and the form(s) must be completely filled out and scanned or or paper must be kept in the chart. Hope this answers your questions :)

Okay thank you. I was told that the doctor had to document how much time was spent on this procedure. There are a few codes among this group of codes that are time driven, correct?
Perhaps that is where the confusion is coming in.

1) doctor documents the results of the screening
2) paper questionaire has to be scanned

No additional modifiers are needed either, is that correct

When I looked in my CPT book I see in the guidelines "A minimum of 31 minutes must be provided to report any per hour code. Services 96101, 96116, 96118, and 96125 report time as face-to-face time with the patient and the time spent interpreting and preparing the report" So I am thinking that is where the confusion of time may be coming into play, since it is in the guidelines at the start of those codes, but 96110 specifically isn't a time based code. When i bill a 96110 with an OV, I always put a -25 on the OV. Hope this helps :)