Wiki 95 exam guidelines

Best answers
I work for an orthopedic office and would like input on using 95 guidelines. My concern is for the exam. I have been told 2 different ways to audit with 95 guidelines and I am hoping someone can help. New patient comes in and the Dr. exams all 4 extremities range of motion and stability are good. He also has pedal pulses are good which is Cardio and listens to the breathing and documents. Would this be a total of 6 body areas/organ systems or just 4 body areas. I have been told that you can use body areas/organ systems together and I have been told that you either have to use body areas or organ systems. Please help

It's atcually both. You can use body areas and systems as bullet points for problem focused (1 body area/system), expanded problem focused (2 to 7 body areas or systems), and detailed (2 to 7 body areas or systems). However, you can only use systems for a comprehensive exam (8 or more systems). In your example above, my understanding is this would be 4 body areas (each extremity), Cardio (1 system), and breathing (1 system). So, 4 body areas and two systems or EPF exam. Our Medicare provider allows us to document two bullet points for at least two systems to be counted as a detailed exam. So, if the Cardio and Respiratory have at least two bullet points (look at the 1997 Guidelines for examples of bullet points), I would code this as a detailed exam. There are fewer than 8 systems documented, so it could not be a comprehensive exam. Tried to keep this short and specific to your example. Hope this helps. :) The exam would be slightly different if you used the 1997 Guidelines.

The 95 guidelines have the list of the recognized body areas/ systems. Go by that list. If musculoskeletal is listed as one area/ system then no matter it is one area. A detailed exam is an extended review of the affected area/ system plus any other related or symptomatic areas/ system.