Wiki 93970 vs 76881

Jenna000

Networker
Best answers
Hello,
Does anyone have any insight on this:

If a patient has a Duplex scan of extremity veins with compressions (93970) but without color flow & spectral doppler on both legs, how would that be coded?

According to ACR & Z Health: “They have instructed to report an ultrasound study of the anatomical area when spectral and color Doppler are not performed. This leads to reporting code 76881 or 76682. While these codes have the word “Non-Vascular” in their descriptions, they are the only alternative to 93970 and 93971.”

We are getting mixed answers or no answers.

Thank you,
Jenna, CPC
North Central Heart
Avera Heart Hospital

If anybody has any information about scrotal ultrasounds with duplex scan utilizing color flow and spectral analysis documentation it would be greatly appreciated. I feel like the terms Doppler and duplex are very confusing in conversations between clinicians and coders. So far all I know is to look at the ultrasound images for the spectral analysis bar graph to verify that that part of 93975 was really done but all the dictated reports ever say are "normal flow", or "normal vascularity" and I cant tell if its documentation from a quick color Doppler check or if the doctors are just not documenting enough information. They are good about dictating measurements but shouldn't they be documenting blood flow cm/sec like they do on renal duplex scans? or use the wording arterial inflow and venous outflow? Does anybody out there have a sample of a phenomenally written duplex scan of an extremity or abdominal organ or scrotal area? Please email me at kmuerth@radiologyregional.com with subject line of AAPC DUPLEX SCAN. Thank you!

correct cpt

Hi,
I think that cpt code 93970 will go as 76881 is non vascular ultrasond of extremities however we are scanning it for veins so 93970 will go.hope it helps..