Wiki 92941 vs 92937

Best answers
If the patient is having a NSTEMI (410.70) and the physician places a stent. However the stent is through a bypass graft which code is more appropriate? I usually use the MI code because I feel it's more revelant to the situation. But is this correct? Just questioning myself and making sure. Thanks for the advise.

If the patient is having a NSTEMI (410.70) and the physician places a stent. However the stent is through a bypass graft which code is more appropriate? I usually use the MI code because I feel it's more revelant to the situation. But is this correct? Just questioning myself and making sure. Thanks for the advise.

I would also say 92941 as that service is more "valued" than the 92937 on the hierarchy for the new PCI codes.

Jessica CPC, CCC

That's funny because I do the exact opposite in this situation, because the doctor directly states that he is placing the stent through the graft I use the graft code for the stenting, which is the 92937, despite the fact that the patient had an MI.

I find that what the doctor directly dictates is most important. That's just what I do though.

We are all named Jessica!!!! I just noticed that. Anyway, I think either way it will get paid, either way would be fine, we just do it differently. NO coders code the same!! :)

That's funny because I do the exact opposite in this situation, because the doctor directly states that he is placing the stent through the graft I use the graft code for the stenting, which is the 92937, despite the fact that the patient had an MI.

I find that what the doctor directly dictates is most important. That's just what I do though.

We are all named Jessica!!!! I just noticed that. Anyway, I think either way it will get paid, either way would be fine, we just do it differently. NO coders code the same!! :)

Hi all,
You might want to consider this when reporting these intervention codes.

The reporting hierarchy, from highest to lowest, for these base codes is:
92943 = 92941 > 92933 > 92924 > 92928 > 92937 > 92920
Source: Distributed during the AMA CPT® 2013 Annual Symposium, based on revised relative value unit (RVU) valuations.

There is the guidance on which code fits this scenario best.

Last edited: