Wiki 770.87 Respiratory arrest of newborn

acw

Networker
Best answers
I am looking for the definition of this code. Coding Clinic and Faye Brown do not have one. I code for NICU Nurse Practitioners. This particular baby stopped breathing at 4 minutes of age and have to be resusitated, .."he was vigorously stimulated and blowby oxygen and suctioning, remained in intermittent breathing and increase in heart rate greater than 100...". Baby eventually began breathing again with grunting. So if a baby stops breathing and there needs to be intervention, would 770.87 be appropiated or would 770.89 to code?
Thanx in advance!
Annette, CPC, CEMC

I am looking for the definition of this code. Coding Clinic and Faye Brown do not have one. I code for NICU Nurse Practitioners. This particular baby stopped breathing at 4 minutes of age and have to be resusitated, .."he was vigorously stimulated and blowby oxygen and suctioning, remained in intermittent breathing and increase in heart rate greater than 100...". Baby eventually began breathing again with grunting. So if a baby stops breathing and there needs to be intervention, would 770.87 be appropiated or would 770.89 to code?
Thanx in advance!
Annette, CPC, CEMC

Annette, 770.87 (respiratory arrest of newborn) is more specific than 770.89 (Other respiratory problems after birth).