Wiki 650 Normal Delivery

thank you as I have been saying this for a long time now and can seem to get my doctors or interns to remove this code from there charge as they what this on for the history I have told them several times it is not for this I was just making sure I was correct on this before I talk to my Head MD regarding this problem thank you so much.

Diagnosis code 650

2. Normal Delivery Code 650: Code 650 is for use in cases when a woman is admitted for a full-term normal delivery and delivers a single, healthy infant without any complications. A delivery is considered normal when it requires no or minimal assistance, with or without episiotomy, without fetal manipulation (forceps) or instrumentation of a spontaneous, cephalic, vaginal, full-term, single liveborn. Code 650 may be used if the patient had a complication at some point during her pregnancy, but the complication is not present at the time of the admission for delivery. Code 650 is always a principal diagnosis. Code 650 is not used if there is any complication. Other codes from Chapter 11 should be used instead. Additional codes from other chapters may be used with code 650 if they are not related to or are in any way complicating the pregnancy. V27.0, Single liveborn, is the only outcome of delivery code appropriate for use with 650. If there are multiple births or stillbirth, code 650 cannot be assigned.

It's difficult sometimes to explain a code to a provider who has used it for a long time.

What I always try to do is present them with any documentation on the subject and always present them with their other options, in relation to the topic at hand.

In this situation, I would print out any documentation from CMS, ACOG, etc. that is in relation to the definition of the 650 code and then I would present them with a list of the known pregnancy history and complication codes. Sometimes you can surprise a provider with a code they didn't even know existed. I know you said she had a normal delivery but maybe they would realize a complication she is currently having. Just an idea :)

Hope this helps!
Amanda Kane, CPC, COBGC

Last edited: