Wiki 64493 and 76000

jennx1032

New
Best answers
I see the 64493 is to include Fluor guide and can not be billed with the 77003. I have providers who are coding the 64493 with the 76000 even thought the 64493 states Fluor is included. Can this be done? I was reading that the 76000 would only be used in cases where another body part beside where the 64493 was done. Is this true? Thanks for all your input.

Hi there:

I referred to my CPT to try to help answer your question. CPT 76000 is listed as a "separate procedure" and furthermore states that the fluoroscopy would be up to one hour of the physicians time.

If you review CPT 64493 in the CPT book, it clearly states that the service for fluoroscopy is included with the service for the facet injections.

Those CPT codes labeled as "Separate procedures" cannot be coded/billed with other procedures.

For more info about this you may want to refer also to the Interventional Radiology Coder guide which details the pain management codes.

The fee/reimbursement for the fluoroscopy is included when performed with the facet joint injection code of CPT 64493, so only CPT 64493 can be coded/billed.

I hope explanation helps you.

Deb K.