Wiki 64490 & 64493 for post operative pain

lcole7465

Expert
Best answers
I code for anesthesia and I have a doctor that did a Thoracic Paravertebral nerve block; CPT code 64490, for post op pain. We are getting an LCD edit as we are using it for post op pain with ICD 9 - 338.18. When I pull the LCD edit, it only shows that it is valid for cervical and thoracic spondylosis. Any ideas on what nerve block code I should use in its place. I'm thinking that I should just use 62310 for the thoracic nerve block.

Thank you

I've not heard of 64490 being used for post-op pain before. It's usually used for alleviating the pain from spondylosis of the cervical or thoracic spine. 62310 is an entirely different procedure, however, so I don't think that code is correct either. I would have to read the op report to give you any further guidance.

Below is a copy of the op report. An open Cholecystectomy was performed. I've never seen a nerve block given for post op pain for this procedure. This one has me stumped.

POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Cholecystitis.

PROCEDURE: An open cholecystectomy with intraoperative cholangiography.

DESCRIPTION OF FINDINGS: presents with symptomatic
cholecystitis. Nonoperative options were attempted, but they have all been
unsuccessful and now the patient wants to proceed with surgical management. The risks of surgery including bleeding, infection, inadvertent organ injury, and the risks associated with anesthesia were explained to the patient and informed consent was obtained.

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE: The patient was taken to the Operating Room, placed into a supine position, and general endotracheal anesthesia was induced. Abdomen prepped and draped sterilely. Then I made a right upper quadrant incision, carried down through the skin and subcutaneous tissue.The subcutaneous tissue was bisected in 2 using cautery. Anterior rectus sheath was scored, rectus muscle was bisected in 2 with cautery achieving hemostasis. Posterior rectus sheath and peritoneum were opened the length incision taking care not to injure the viscera below.

Packs and retractors were used to expose the field. The gallbladder was
tense and distended. I decompressed the bilious fluid.

I then dissected into close triangle, identified the cystic artery. I suture
ligated it on its proximal side and then I clipped it on its distal side on
the gallbladder side and bisected in 2. I then took the gallbladder down in
a retrograde fashion, so was only tethered by the cystic duct. I tied the
cystic duct off with silk, made a small opening in it just distal to the tie,
inserted a cholangiogram catheter, and clipped in place. Intraoperative
fluoroscopic cholangiograms were obtained showed they were indeed within the cystic duct. Common hepatic, common bile, the radicals also contrast and dye went right into the duodenum with no evidence of an extrahepatic filling defect. Reexposure of gallbladder fossa was then performed as described above. I then doubly clamped the cystic duct on its side origin, with clips taking care not to injure the common hepatic or common bile duct and then I transected the cystic duct in 2, I removed the gallbladder from the operative field. Irrigated the wound until clear. Jackson-Pratt was placed into the Morison's pouch, brought out through a separate stab incision. All packs and retractors were removed. The posterior rectus sheath and peritoneum were closed with 0 PDS. Anterior rectus sheath was closed with Nurolon's, irrigated subcutaneous tissues. Skin was closed with clips. The catheter was sewn in with nylon. We then placed a local into the wound and 36 mL local and wound VAC was placed. The patient was awakened, extubated, and transferred to the Recovery Room in stable condition. Sponge and instrument count were correct in the case. Blood loss was minimal.

64490 represents injecting the facet joints or injecting the facet joint nerves/medial branches that innervate the joint for an indication of suspected facet pain without a strong radicular component.

There is nothing published to my knowledge by the AMA that it is appropriate to use codes that are treating facet pain for paravertebral block for post operative pain. This seems like an assumption that this code can be used.

This might fall under an unlisted code.

Could you post the documentation of the nerve block administered? Could the block be a TAP (Transverse abdominus plane) block?

Last edited:
Lisa,

I have tried to post a copy of the block sheet, but I'm having issues and it won't let me. I don't recall ever seeing a block performed for this procedure. But I do agree that if any it should have been TAP block for a open chole procedure.

The doctor administered the block at the T5-9 level and states that it was a Paravertebral block for post op pain management.

Thank you for the help.