Wiki 62 modifier usage

AESCPC

Contributor
Best answers
My provider did the left side fusion, diskectomy, C3-4, C4-5, C5-6, a provider from another office did the right side. Would I bill for my provider with the 62 modifier, or would the other provider bill with the 62 modifier?

when a 62 modifier is used it is used by both providers to show that they performed separate parts of the same procedure. If this procedure can be billed with separate RT and LT modifiers then there is no need for a 62.

To me, this sounds a little strange. Why would one provider do one side and another provider do the other side? A fusion/discectomy 22551, 22552 x 2 for the additional levels can not be billed with LT and RT. I would almost question whether one dr was the assist and not an actual co-surgeon. If you bill with the co-surgeon modifier 62, the insurance is probably going to question why there was a need for one provider to do one side of the surgery instead of just assist. A co-surgeon is used when that specific physicians specialty or skills are needed for performance of a portion of a procedure.