Wiki 59400 and prior complications

rykin7609

Networker
Best answers
I am new to this area of coding and have come across a physician billing 59400 which he should because he has seen the patient throughout the pregnancy and delivery.

The question is, can I also bill for an H&P and 2 subsequent hospital visits prior to the delivery because of complications. The patient had "rupture of membranes" and spent 4 days in one hospital then tranferred to another and spent another 4 days at second hospital before delivering. The patient was also going into premature labor and had a prior history of this.

I believe I am able to bill for this H&P plus 2 subsequent visits by my doctor. I think I will have to leave the one prior to delivery and day of delivery in the global period and a zero charge. Is this correct?

Also, if I AM able to bill for those three days of hospital stay, will I need a modifier 24 showing this as something above and beyond the normal pregnancy and delivery?

Thank you, I appreciate all the help I can get.
Allana T CPC, CCAT

Yes, hospital visits are NOT included in the global maternity structure. So, NO, you should not need a 24 modifier. Just make sure to use the dx of 'premature rupture of membranes' to acknowledge this is a "complication of pregnancy" and therefore, not included. You can bill for any visits up to 24 hours prior to delivery. Also, did your Dr deliver your patient? If he/she did NOT deliver, you cannot bill for the delivery and should bill CPT 59425/59426 depending on how many visits the patient had in office.

Thank you, we were leaning that way but we just wanted to make sure by asking someone who has done this before.

Thanks!