Wiki 59 modifier on non chemo administration

nlaaron

Networker
Best answers
I am a little rusty on my infusion coding, Do I need to put a -59 modifier on my non-chemo infusions,96366, when also given on the same day as chemotherapy,96413, infusions? I know I use the -59 if there are two initial sites and on any hydration that is not an integral part of the treatment. Is there a reference regarding this anywhere? Thanks.

There is only one initial allowed per day. It is taken on the highest level of infusion not the initial infusion. If the highest level is chemotherapy, then all the other infusions, hydration or IVPs are sequential or each additional. If therapeutic injection is given on the same day it does require a modifier 59. To determine where the initial service belongs you go down the following list to the first service that you can say yes to and that is the initial: Chemotherapy infusion, chemo IVP, therapeutic infusion, therapeutic IVP, hydration.

You do not need modifiers on the therapeutic infusions/IVPs on the same day as chemo. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I just couldn't remember if the therapeutic infusions and ivp's needed modifier -59 when also given on the same day as chemo. That answers my question.