Wiki -53 modifier, now do I need post-op mod?

cgoodling

Contributor
Best answers
Our ENT doctor attempted to perform a total thyroidectomy on a patient, but due to extreme hypotension, had to abort the procedure. We appended a -53 modifier to the claim. A few days later, the patient had increasing neck swelling, and went back to the hospital. The same doctor performed an E & M service, and subsequently ended up back in the OR to drain an abscess.

Do I need a -78 modifier or did the -53 on the previous claim negate the post-op period?

Thanks!:

I would append a -24 modifier to the E&M service and also a -57 if the decision for another surgery was made then - and then add a -78 modifier to the OR drainage procedure. Depends on the payer of course, check if they recognize all of these modifiers.

Doesn't sound like the E/M would justify Modifier -24 because it seems like it's directly related to the procedure. It also won't justify modifier -57 because 10060/1 is considered a minor procedure 010 global which would use -25. With that being said, if you somehow can justify unrelated to global procedure you will use -24 and -25 on the E/M, and -79 on the procedure. Outside looking in, I would only bill the procedure with -78