Wiki 51701 straight cath after surgery

wfriddle

Networker
Best answers
I have a question about whether it is appropriate to bill this procedure, 51701 Insertion of non-indwelling bladder catheter (eg, straight catheterization for residual urine), during the global period of a 57288 Sling operation for stress incontinence (eg, fascia or synthetic). I can see where this could be considered a complication of the surgery therefore not payble during the global period but I am just uncertain. The patients are also being taught to self cath at the time which we are billing out as 98960, Education and training for patient self-management by a qualified, nonphysician health care professional using a standardized curriculum, face-to-face with the patient (could include caregiver/family) each 30 minutes; individual patient. Is this code appropriate and should this be the only code we bill or could we bill for the cath as well?

Worried...

Is there anyone that has thoughts on this? I have gotten some of these to pay and I am concerned that they should not have. Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I can not seem to find any literature on this other than global policies which can be a little vague.