Wiki 401 essential HTN versus 402, 403, 404, 405

Love Coding!

Expert
Best answers
Help! 401 essential HTN versus 402, 403, 404, 405

Hello,

Can someone clarify this for me? In the ICD-9 book in the Hypertension section it says near the essential HTN codes:

OGCR Section I.C.7.a.1 – Assign hypertension (arterial), (essential), (systemic), (NOS), to category code 401 with appropriate fourth digit to indicate malignant (.0), benign (.1), or unspecified (.9). *Do not use either .0 malignant or .1 benign unless medical record documentation supports such a designation.
My question is does this *rule also apply to the other HTN codes 402, 403, 404, 405?

I will also post this in the Cardiology section...

Thank you soooo much

Last edited:
Anyone? Please?

Hello,

Can someone clarify this for me? In the ICD-9 book in the Hypertension section it says near the essential HTN codes:

OGCR Section I.C.7.a.1 – Assign hypertension (arterial), (essential), (systemic), (NOS), to category code 401 with appropriate fourth digit to indicate malignant (.0), benign (.1), or unspecified (.9). *Do not use either .0 malignant or .1 benign unless medical record documentation supports such a designation.
My question is does this *rule also apply to the other HTN codes 402, 403, 404, 405?

I will also post this in the Cardiology section...

Thank you soooo much

Anyone? Please? :)

as far as assignment of benign vs malignant? yes it applies across the board to all hypertension codes. I cannot wait for ICD-10 CM when this will no longer be an issue!

as far as assignment of benign vs malignant? yes it applies across the board to all hypertension codes. I cannot wait for ICD-10 CM when this will no longer be an issue!

Thank you so much! I know how you feel.. ICD-10 can't come soon enough..
Have a great evening!