Wiki 397.0 or 424.2

MandyFlagg

Best answers
Quick question,

I was asked a question regarding a confusing answer on the CCC practice test. As a former coding instructor and a current auditor/educator, I have used the ICD-9 book and I think I have answered it; however, the coder is still in disagreement and I can also see her point.

The diagnosis that need to be coded are:
Mild Aortic Stenosis
Mild MR and TR
Diastolic Dysfunction

Coder coded: 396.8, 424.2, and 429.9
Correct answer states: 396.8, 397.0, 429.9

When I look at this 397.0 falls under Rheumatic (no mention of this in note) however the code description states:
Diseases of the tricuspid valve - Tricuspid (valve)(rheumatic): disease, insufficiency, obstruction, regurgitation, stenosis
The definition under this states: Malfunction of the valve between right atrium and right ventricle; due to rheumatic heart diease.

Now 424.2 states Tricuspid valve disorders, specified as nonrheumatic - Tricuspid valve: incompetence, insufficiency, regurgitation, stenosis of specified cause, except rheumatic
The EXCLUDES notes state excludes: rheumatic or of unspecified cause (397.0)

So my take on the ICD-9 instructions would then take me back to using 397.0 due to not having a specified reason for the TR. I am just leary to use that beings that it falls under rheumatic?

Thoughts please?????

My take is that unless he specified it as non rheumatic then you code to the 397.0, there is a coding clinic noted for the 397.0 if you have access to coding clinics I would look this up.

In your code book just under the code number ( depending upon the publisher you use) there is an AHA reference. These are Coding clinics, it will tell you which quarter, year and page number. This is a paid service but most every hospital medical record dept subscribes. They are consider the last word for compliant coding.