Wiki 2ndary insurance billing /timely filing

Bluteam

Best answers
I have a question when it comes to billing a 2dary medicaid / or commercial insurance. I have always been told that in order to do a write off you must have a remit advice, voucher, check, Explanation of benefits telling you do to so. I was told by my instructors and other insurance and an accountant that you must bill the other insurance on file even if its past filing limits prior to doing a write off. I'm being told my current employer not to do so. Please advise with any information you may have . or any references you have to this effect.

I'm out of network with straight Medicaid. With QMB patients, I can't bill Medicaid, but I must write it off. So I never have an EOB, but I have documentation of the patient being QMB. But no, if you know the primary has already paid you than Medicaid allows, just write off and move on.

Honestly, I would send a claim to the secondary insurance even if it is passed timely filing. Patients present their insurances to you which means that you are filing claims for them on their behalf, so it is best that you file and receive a denied EOB stating that it is passed timely filing or not covered due to being out of network. It's good to leave paper trail than none in case auditors ask in the future (you'll never know). My practice does a courtesy for patients who have Medicaid as secondary to write off whatever is remaining after primary, but I was told in the past that you technically can bill Medicaid patients as long as they sign ABN form (if Medicare is primary).

Medicaid is not going to pay on most things... We have created a list of the codes we bill that Medicaid will pay the coinsurance on and the ones they wont. If a code is on the no pay list we dont even bother sending we just adjust it.

It takes so long to get the EOB/denial back from Medicaid and that is just leaving those claims on our AR longer than needed.

Other insurance companies absolutely get the denial for a paper trail but Medicaid we don't bother.