Wiki 2nd viewing of images and Data points

cbwalking

New
Best answers
If my provider views radiology images during an office visit and then a month later views the images again (let's say because now the patient has decided they want surgery, so he wants to take another look at the images), can my provider be given 2 Data points again for viewing the radiology again?

He is re-reading and interpreting?

Why is he re-reading his own original interpretation?

I'm going to say no for the 2 points for the re-review because that requires another interpretation be made. It sounds to me like he is refreshing his memory. I would just give 1 for re-reviewing.

Just my opinion,

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I, CANPC, CEMC

image visualization

Thank you so much for your answers!
Laura, I get what you are saying, 1st time looking at the film is interpretation and 2nd time would be review, but the auidt form doesn't state first interpretation. Some audit forms indicate "review" is reading a report rather than visualizing the film. So can I assume the extra work and expertise of looking at the images (even if it's the second visualization) could qualify for a higher level of work, or is this pushing the limit?
Please let me know what you think. Thank you for helping!

Cindy, CPC, CPMA

Last edited:
He would have to create another report for the 2nd personal interpretation as well to support the 2 data points. Unless he comes up with different findings I think this is pushing it myself.

I would personally not give the same provider credit for reading the same test twice.

Hope this helps,

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I, CANPC, CEMC