Wiki 2nd request/help with CPT

ggparker14

True Blue
Best answers
Need help from other coders. Looking at 11010 and 29125.

procedure: removal of packing of dorsal wrist and hand wound with repeat irrigation of skin, subq tissue and muscle.

op note: Cultures were taken prior to irrigation. There did not appear to be any residual purulent material. The skin still appeared to be somewhat irritated with the surrounding cellulitits, but it was improving. The extensor tendons appeared to be intact. There was some trauma to one of the dorsal sensory ulnar nerve branches from the infection, but the nerve itself was still intact. The previous pocket of purulent material extended to the ulnar aspect of the hand over the hypothenar area. No additional skin required sharp debridement, but there were some areas of skin that still looked relatively inflamed and cellulitic. The cellulitis however appeared to be contained. It was not extending up the forearm. After the wound cultures were taken, the wound was thoroughly irrigated with antibiotic solution along the skin, subcutaneous tissue and muscle. The wound was then packed open with quarter inch lodoform guaze. Dry sterile bulky dressing was applied. Patient was placed in a short-arm splint.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi, I agree with the 29125 code for your splint application, but the code you want to use for debridement, 11010, is for open fracture, and the way the operative report reads, I do not see that it was an open fracture. (perhaps it was more clearly stated during the initial treatment) If this was not an open fracture I would use 11043 instead. :D