Wiki 29888 with 29881

paroberts

Best answers
I am still a student in the AAPC but I work for Orthopedic surgeons and there claims are coming back stating they can not bill these codes together:confused::confused:

According to the CCI edits 29888 (primary procedure) can be billed with 29881. Did you apply a modifier to 29881? It will need modifier depending on your carrier 51 or 59.

it depends on the documentation as to whether you can bill with a modifier, it is not a CCI edit so that you can always use a modifier, it is a CCI edit because there are times when the 2 codes cannot be billed together so it is possible depending on the documentation.

I bill for an ASC, I do not see them as bundled, nor requiring a modifier. Can you post the denial? I looked at my past few months I billed several and not one of ours have denied.

These codes can be billed together, however you need to make sure that your diagnoses are linked properly. You wouldn't do a menisectomy for an ACL tear, so if your diagnosis is not correct it could be denied for medical necessity. It would help if you posted the denial reason.

You are correct. I did not find it as an edit in the latest edition of the CCI edits. I always assume the poster has checked this when they post that it is a CCI edit. Apologies.
Therefore it did not deny due to a CCI edit, what exactly does the denial state?