Wiki 29880 vs 29877 Please help!!

mfranks

Contributor
Best answers
Doctor is stating that he did a Medial and Lateral Meniscectomy and should be coded as a 29880. In looking at it I beleive its a 29877. Any feedback is appreciated. Op note is below.

Fat pad was moved out of the way and under direct visualization, the medial portal was made. I immediately recognized that there was a large defect in the medial femoral condyle. This was in the region of 1-1.5 cm. I elected to perform a forage or chondroplasty. I then drew my attention to the medial meniscus, which showed a degenerative tear at the three-o'clock position. This was debrided back to a stable edge. I fully inspected the meniscus above and below and did not note any other tears. The state of the medial tibial plateau was good with grade 2 chondromalacia. Moving into the trochlear notch, I noted that there was a similar defect in the notch and performed a similar chondroplasty in this region, debriding the loose articular cartilage. Moving into the notch of the femur, I noted that the posterior cruciate ligament and anterior cruciate ligament both showed excellent integrity with no fraying whatsoever. Moving into the lateral jointline, I noted that there was indeed, a tear of the lateral meniscus in and around the nine-o'clock position. This was more degenerative in nature and was debrided back to a stable edge. I then thoroughly inspected the under and over-side of the meniscus in the region of the posterior horn, where there was a horizontal tear. Rather than finding a horizontal tear, I actually found an undersurface radial tear, which was less than 2 mm. This was quite a small tear and I did not think that it was worth trying to repair this as I believe the patient would lose a considerable amount of the play of her meniscus, as well as the overall diameter of the meniscus. I believe that such a small tear would not propagate a further tear and I think that more of what was locking up her knee were the multiple loose bodies, which I found in all three compartments of her knee. Some of these loose bodies were as large as 1 cm in length

I agree with you there is no documentation for Medial and/or Lateral Menisectomy or a Meniscus Repair. If this is the complete OP Report, you can only code as 29877.

I respectfully disagree. There was medial and lateral menisectomies performed per to op note (these are different from repairs), and multiple chondroplasties, which is also covered under the 29880. I think that this is the correct code, and I would stray away from the other as there is no documentation to support that.

I respectfully disagree. There was medial and lateral menisectomies performed per to op note (these are different from repairs), and multiple chondroplasties, which is also covered under the 29880. I think that this is the correct code, and I would stray away from the other as there is no documentation to support that.

I agree, it should be 29880. It clearly states that lateral and medial menisectomies were done. 29877 is a component of 29880.

29880 vs 29877

I agree that the correct code to use is the 29880. However, according to the OP note there were several loose bodies that were addressed. Code G0289 is the HCPCS code for arthroscopic removal of loose bodies in the knee. Although according to the CPT book you cannot perform a debridement/chondroplasty at the same time as the 29880, you can perform a procedure that removes loose bodies in the knee. I have utilized G0289 for this reason and it has paid.

I agree that 29880 is correct. However, if the chondroplasty is done in the same compartment(s) as the meniscetomy(s), it should not be reported for separate reimbursment.