Wiki 29880 & 29877

nlbarnes

Expert
Best answers
I understand that per CCI edit, 29877 is bundled with 29880. I thought I read somewhere yesterday that "if" this then you can also bill 29877. I can't find that article. I don't think it was a separate compartment but maybe if it were separate portal incisions? I was going to just code 29880. Please advise. Also, does anyone have a good orth coding source? It's been 10 years since I last coded ortho. Thanks...

The medial meniscus was debrided with straight and up-biting baskets introduced via the anterolateral and anteromedial portals. Stable 2-3 mm rim was left behind. As discussed above portion of the meniscus had flipped under the meniscus between the meniscus and the medial tibial plateau was extracted during the case.
The lateral compartment was debrided to the straight and up-biting baskets to again create a well balanced with surface. Chondral lesions on the patella and femoral trochlea were also debrided with the motorized shaver to create a smoother surface.
At this point the knee was irrigated copiously and any remaining meniscal and/or chondral debris was removed.

There are no circumstances when these codes can be billed together. Code description and AMA guideline on 29877 that if performed arthroscopic meniscectomy is inclusive in the 29880. NCCI Does not allow for any modifiers to bypass.

You may want to look into G0289

From NCCI Manual:

HCPCS code G0289 may be reported with CPT codes 29880 or 29881 only if reported for removal of a loose body or foreign body from a different compartment of the same knee.

Last edited:
CodingKing, have you ever heard of an insurer denying 29880 because it's considered experimental?

Peace
?_?