Wiki 29876

Best answers
CPT 29876 - Is there an LCD to go with this code? I cannot locate an LCD, to understand the ICD10 CM codes to be billed with 29876. I only found an LCD for 29877. Need some guidance here. thanks!

I don't know that there are any NCD, LCD or Articles specifically on this CPT. Commercial payers may have medical policies on it that could help you understand. It's usually done for villonodular synovitis and other types of synovitis. There are other indications for it though. The thing is it's usually done in conjunction with other more extensive knee scope procedures which makes it bundled a lot.

There is reference to it in the NCCI manual, not ICD-10 specific but has some helpful info.
8. Arthroscopic synovectomy of the knee may be reported with CPT codes 29875 (Limited synovectomy, “separate procedure”) or 29876 (Major synovectomy of two or three compartments). A synovectomy to “clean up” a joint on which another more extensive procedure is performed is not separately reportable. CPT code 29875 shall not be reported with another arthroscopic knee procedure on the ipsilateral knee. CPT code 29876 may be reported for a medically reasonable and necessary synovectomy with another arthroscopic knee procedure on the ipsilateral knee if the synovectomy is performed in 2 compartments on which another arthroscopic procedure is not performed. For example, CPT code 29876 shall not be reported for a major synovectomy with CPT code 29880 (Knee arthroscopy, medial AND lateral meniscectomy) on the ipsilateral knee, since knee arthroscopic procedures other than synovectomy are performed in 2 of the 3 knee compartments.